Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Little Death





Several weeks ago, when I visited Sharon Rizk in Pecos, New Mexico, I walked with her neighbors, walking their dogs, in the snow each morning.  One of them said, “I’m tired of snow.”  But I knew I had not seen the worst of it.   











Later in Iowa and northern Minnesota, I heard comments from locals implying that winter is a drab place of blacks and whites and dreary grays.  “March usually brings warmings,” said Jerry Netland, owner of the Voyageur Motel

People who live in the far north don’t go out much, and they sleep more.  Some of them brave the cold for the pure joy of it, but not most.  They stay inside and make things or talk about spring, but they don’t go outside much, except in their cars.  Maybe that’s why they call winter “The little death.”  People in warmer climates use that expression in other ways, but in the far north it seems to fit.   






In Butte, Montana, I saw the first copper mine of 1878 that started a pollution problem that Superfunds are still trying to clean up. 














And this open pit copper mine is still in operation, though supposedly not harming the environment as the first hundred years of mining this mountain did.   













Looking back on that venture into the far north, I shushed through the snow for a while, and now it is over.  Arriving in eastern Washington, was like sighting land after crossing an ocean.  It’s fifty degrees here with no ice, no snow, except on distant mountains. Yesterday, the huge Coeur d'Alene Lake had no ice, and Canadian geese looked happy.   









I am now in Pacific time zone, just a day’s drive from Port Angeles, where I spent a month last September and October.  I hope to see if the sign at Hurricane Ride is really true.






Michael Angerman has prepared an interactive map showing my nightly stops.     Michael's Map  

8 comments:

  1. My, my--you've been gone almost a month--time does fly! Thank you again for sharing the snow, copper mines and geese. Enjoy a little more of "Life on the Edge" before returning home! Smiles- Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. I hope to see you at poetry on March 4.

      Delete
  2. From pone smart dog
    to another
    I say it was
    a bitching trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlos wrote here, but it was somehow deleted.

    "What a beautiful sight! I truly envy you, some day I may take a similar trip, but not in the coldest month of the year/ is in my bucket list. Thank you for sharing.

    Love, Carlos"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carlos.
      Perhaps you and Kathy will drive out to California this summer. We have great hikes in some big mountains.
      Sharon

      Delete
  4. Dearest Sharon,
    Indeed the Canadian Goose looks warm and happy in a balmy 50 degrees. Enjoy the warmth as you travel South to home in Pasadena. Safe travels. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kathy, I have visited friends in Corvallis, Oregon, and am now en-route to home. I should be there tomorrow evening. What a good time we had in Hot Springs.

    ReplyDelete