Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Frostbite Falls



The tracks I left
with chains on my boots
I put chains on my boots
to reduce slipping on ice.
I came to the coldest place in the lower forty-eight states to experience real winter.  I was here for two months in the winter of 2009-10, and found life honest and very cold for the unprepared.  But if there is anything I do well, I think it is being prepared.  I research, anticipate and plan carefully.  If with a little bragging, I can say that it usually works out satisfyingly.  Many of you can say the same for your poetry, painting, ceramics, collage, and music.  Travel to wild places is my primary form of satisfaction and possibly my contribution the general artistic community.  But this time it didn’t work, not here in Frostbite Falls. 





Poverty-level houses
along the Blue Ox Trail
Main Street
International Falls, MN


I drove here on dry roads.  My engine heater isn’t even needed, nor are my winter tires, winter antifreeze, nor my windshield washer solution that will not freeze at fifty below.  I feel like a polar bear in the desert.  Everyone here complains that snow fell, then above-freezing temperatures melted it, and now it is ice and dangerous—not the way extreme winter is supposed to work.   







Katrina 2009
Sandy 2020

Maybe you remember Katrina at Sandy’s  CafĂ©, the smart girl I liked so much in 2009.  Well, in the intervening ten years, she’s graduated from college and holds a high position in Minnesota State government helping the underprivileged.  Her mother, Sandy, for whom the place is named, served me breakfast this morning, proudly praising her daughter.  Here they are together, with a gap of ten years, that seems to me like a week.  








Jerry and Sandy Netland 2009
Jerry and Sandy Netland 2020


Here at the Voyageur Motel, mom and pop, Jerry and Sandy, pose as they did ten years ago, still at it, still busy all the time, but now cynical.  They want to quit, give up the motel and go traveling.  The town’s gone to pot and help in impossible to find.  Ten years ago, they bragged that Minnesota people are the best workers in the country.  










A pile of winterwear that, if I wore it all,
would look like a kaba,
better known as a hippopotamus



So here I am sitting in Room 25, just three doors down from where I sat in 2009, wondering how to spend two weeks.  Happy, in a way that weather is relatively warm, and I can go out without much fear of frostbite, and sad to see so many people complaining.    














I walked the Blue Ox Trail this morning.  It looks the same as in 2009, groomed and ready for snow machines.  I took pictures of low-income housing along the trail,  thinking they are not the ones complaining.  I don’t see them at Sandy’s, maybe at the low-cost bar uptown.   





Sculpture in packed snow


Michael Angerman of Corvallis, Oregon, has prepared an interactive map of my trip showing mv daily locations.  Please see Michael’s Map:    Michael's Map       








10 comments:

  1. I am sorry you did not find the winter wonderland of ten years ago, but there are still examples of real winter in your photos. I am glad you were able to reconnect with old friends and are well prepared for most eventualities. Sweet dreams- Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joan, there is plenty of snow on the ground. But locals say that temperatures are much lower than they were 10 years ago. At least in these last few days, the temperatures have not risen above freezing, which they did last week. It meant that snow melted and is now dangerous ice. This morning it is +10.

      Delete
  2. This is definitely a trip down memory lane for you, Sharon. Happy you met up with old friends, and I bet you made some new too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mandy, it has been a good trip so far, and having much more contact with people than other trips. Good to see you here.

      Delete
  3. Dear Sharon, I feel there with you on this trip in many ways--with dear friends and being a "kaba" myself--though I was told in Japan --a "kawaii" one...

    This was published in the cherita journal that just arrived:

    coming full circle
    born in the ice (SH)

    she looks down
    and sees
    a wizard (KAW)

    and knows his truth

    (SH)

    ~dream journal
    the cherita (Feb 2020)

    (wonder if we will see you soon??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kaba, Thanks for submitting this for publication. This time in March you might see me.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sharon,
    I admire your careful preparations for each of your trips. Always better to be prepared. I will not tell you in a sweet but firm voice, "Sharon, get off that rock," Like you told me your mom did years ago, but for goodness sake girl, be careful in that ice. Such unpredictable, mixed weather we are having right now, here today in Hot Springs there are some snow flurries. I enjoy the updates on your friends there, and hope those who are unhappy can find their way to change. What a starkly white, but beautiful landscape. Fantastic photographs, as always. Enjoy your adventure, dear Sharon. Love, Kathy Leonard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I will enjoy it, because it is real--the way things are. I cannot change a lot of things, but I can get into a situation, good or bad, and usually enjoy it. I see no point in getting involved with what I cannot change. Tomorrow I want to drive the ice road, watch the fishermen in their tents, looking into the holes they drilled in the ice. That seems real, and I want to understand it.

      Delete
  5. Finally I enter into your adventure, beginning here on February 12th commenting on your February 5th.

    I love the accounts of people and the preparation and the sculpture and The Way You Make Your Mark with you're careful steps in snow and ice.

    I shall enjoy reading further and catching up with you although not in those footsteps of yours.

    I love the way Katrina and Sandy look so much alike. Good mother daughter reflection.

    So may snow and ice be beautifully presented further and further. Only by one such as you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, I am guessing that your footprints adorn the snow at Lake Arrowhead. Some say you have moved; if so, I hope it's not too far from snow. Good times were had in the little blue house.

      Delete