Friday, February 7, 2020

Ice Road







Perhaps you have launched your boat from a trailer by backing down a ramp designed for this purpose.  It was on such a ramp that I drove down to water level and instead of sinking, continued out onto ice of Kabetogama Lake.  Having never done this before, I was in four wheel drive and creeping scared.  










Other car tracks in the new snow lended encouragement,  and soon I felt almost safe.  A plow had piled up banks of snow along both sides of the “road”  and I cruised along imagining wakes from my boat. 










Some places, a chilling wind at zero degrees whipped the plowed banks into art forms, and in other places the wind removed all snow from the ice, which looked rather like asphalt pavement.  I worried about cracks in the “pavement” and wondered if they had anything to do with rumbling sounds I heard in the distance.  










Then I saw what looked like water along the “road” and got out to assure myself that it was not water, but ice.  It splashed when I stepped in it.  And a layer of ice had clearly been broken into pieces by passing tires.  It was all disconcerting, but since other tires had gone further, I decided to continue. 








A group of small structures began appearing in the distance.  You can see four of them in the left photo.  (Click on any photo to enlarge it.)  The right-most one appeared to have steam or smoke rising from it.  The others seemed vacant.  

I parked the jeep and walked toward it.  There were fresh car tracks leading to it and steam was indeed rising.  I stood some ten feet away from the door and called “Good morning.”  It took me several tries, but the door finally opened a crack, and a man inspected me.  “Come in and close the door,” he said.  









Within five minutes I believed I had met a friendly fisherman, happy to answer my many questions about life in the far north and told me why ice fishing is so great.  “I suppose you don’t get many visitors,” I said.  “I thought I was hearing things when you called.” 











That flimsy-looking rod and line have dropped  a minnow about thirty feet down, near the bottom of the lake, through an eight-inch hole in twenty-inch thick ice.  He bored the hole with that auger, and if he wants to sleep, he has two bunks.  He has six holes through the floor of his ice house if he keeps them all free of ice, for six lines if he chooses.  Today he has just two lines down under the ice.  That fish finder is from his summer boat; it detects movements of fish.











He explained the cracks and the slushy water on the ice and the rumbles I heard in the distance.  They are all caused by expansion and contraction of the ice and changes in pressure on its surface.  These forces crack the ice and pump water up through the cracks.  They are nothing to worry about.  











I drove several more miles on the lake, happy for having met a kind man in an ice house, a warm time in a chilly wind.  Having experienced many such encounters with tenuous beginnings, I wonder if, all together, they legitimize the one that could go wrong.   









Michael Angerman of Corvallis, Oregon, has prepared an interactive map of my trip showing mv daily locations.  Please see Michael’s Map:    Michael's Map       

17 comments:

  1. sometimes I dream
    I'm a deer
    in winter
    looking at you
    kid

    Not much of a tanka but merely a helloooo! and it's looks quite cold and brisk and wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the "kid" reference, Lois. I guess it's true.

      Delete
  2. N.n.n.n.n....ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!That man looks like he is really having fun fishing on a frozen lake. I always thought of trying to fish on a frozen lake, but I don't know if I would trust the ice not to crack onder me.
    Thanks for sharing, and glad you are enjoying your trip in one of the coldest part of the country at this time. You are brave!
    Love, Carlos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carlos, he was clearly having fun. I was lucky to find him and listen to his stories and hear his vivid explanations of how fishing is done through the ice, and even how the fish know it's daytime by blue light shining softly above them. I almost wanted to dive into his fishing hole and see for myself.

      Delete
  4. I love this post. Unusually beautiful scenery, risk and reward, and I especially love your sensible philosophy. I agree 100% and in my own way, I practice that daily all my life, but I can't imagine going out there in freezing cold temperature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Keiko, it's no more dangerous or uncomfortable than flying to and from Japan. The joys of good places, good people, adventure, are worth a little risk, a little discomfort. May the good life go on, even if it ends in a snowstorm.

      Delete
  5. Your visit with the ice fisherman was a productive and informative one. So glad he was welcoming, answered your questions, and the ice held in your travels. I love, love, love the photograph of the deer. They recognize perhaps like kind, a solitary traveler intending no harm. Enjoy your continued journey. Love, Kathy Leonard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathy, the deer don't run off. They will survive in a human world.

      Delete
  6. What kind of deer are those by the way, Sharon? Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what kind they are. Locals just call them deer, and complain that they eat gardens in summer, and reach up to bird feeders in the deep snow of winter. They complain about people who feed the deer because it increases their population. They speak well of the wolves who feed on deer.

      Delete
  7. Totally enjoyed the fish finder story and the image you captured of him is delightful.

    You know that I love when you capture people along the way within your great ability to tell stories with pictures and words.

    And I feel as I read the comments that I get visits with Lois P Jones and Kathabela and Kathy Leonard. It's like we are gathered in your company and I appreciate that and all of you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are a kind of community here. I appreciate you and all who comment. Many more people comment by email to me alone, but here it's an open forum, and I appreciate each one who joins in.

      Delete
    2. It's a great community! Thanks for collecting us all in this interesting forum.

      Delete
  8. Nothing like your ice-cold hands
    on my butt to make me shrink
    to the smallest of stalagmites

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No stalagmites here, Alex. Perhaps an icicle will do.

      Delete